Lake Berryessa with CU May 15th

Group rides, clinics, and charity rides.
Roll out with a valid motorcycle license, insurance, and current registration. Curve Unit will not be held responsible for mishaps that result in personal injury or property damage. Motorcycle riding is inherently dangerous, so you ride at your own risk.

Moderators: NinjaMama, Fanny Fligurl, Officers

Motominx
Contributing Member

Lake Berryessa with CU May 15th

#1 Post by Motominx » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:29 pm

THIS MONTHS' RIDE CANCELLED DUE TO HIGH PROBABILITY OF RAIN (Boo, hiss!)

PLAN B: All are invited to join Curve Unit for the 11:10 showing of "Bridesmaids" at the Hacienda Crossings Theater in Dublin followed by munchies at Mimis Cafe- 4775 Hacienda Dr., Dublin.
The meeting will be held right after lunch.

http://www.bridesmaidsmovie.com/

Ok guys, let's see who the real men are!
"Well-behaved women rarely make history"

Hekele
CU Supporter

Re: Lake Berryessa with CU May 15th

#2 Post by Hekele » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:45 pm

Can't wait!!
Hekele(Heather)

HoneyBadger
Contributing Member

#3 Post by HoneyBadger » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:15 pm

Whoo-hoo! Was just out the bridge last week, roads were gorgeous (just the usual few rocks in the normal slide places)...can't wait!
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul." ~Unknown

2017 Kawasaki ZX10R (race)
2016 Kawasaki ZX10R (street/B bike)

My Journey Towards Road Racing Blog:
http://honeybadger302.blogspot.com/?m=1

Fanny Fligurl
President

#4 Post by Fanny Fligurl » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:43 pm

Woooot!! So excited. See you girls then....

(although secretly I'll already be out there for our CU Bike Maintenance Clinic the day before, and BBQ, and drinks, and slumber party, and pillow fights, and, and, and....)
Humanity is a terrible thing to waste. Be patient, treat others with respect, and ride like you borrowed it indefinitely!

NinjaMama
Emerita

#5 Post by NinjaMama » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:18 pm

I'm going to volunteer my sweep-truck skills for this one. Ash want's to ride Madonna, so expect to see them on the ride.
Sabrina
Sabrina fair...
Listen where thou art sitting
under the glassie, cool, translucent wave,
in twisted braids of lillies knitting
the loose train of thy amber-dropping hair.

My Avatar is by http://enayla.deviantart.com/. She painted the entire image with Photoshop and a graphics tablet. Do yourself a favor and click on her name.

maygoddess

#6 Post by maygoddess » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:25 am

Can't wait to ride Berryessa with CU!

And the offer stands..if any riders want to spend the night in the Napa area rather than ride over in the morning..are welcome to stay at my house in American Canyon! Have plenty of room! Just let me know ahead of time if you want to stay so I know who to expect. Have space to garage a few extra bikes overnight so they are not outside!

Look forward to the ride!

Patty

Rollin on 3
CU Supporter

#7 Post by Rollin on 3 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:30 pm

Can't wait riding this road again but at a faster pace than the "ride 4kids" :) Not sure of the stay over I might just do 2 trips :)
Just Rollin
~Anamarie~

Bones_BADMC

#8 Post by Bones_BADMC » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:51 am

Damn it! 2 weeks before I make it back to Cali :(

Have a good ride ladies.

H.D.30-06

#9 Post by H.D.30-06 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:57 pm

If my ride is back together by then I'll be there.
RIDE RIDE GOTTA RIDE !!!
Never mistake kindness for weakness.
2001 H.D. 1200 Sportster(sold)
2008 Suzuki DL650 vstrom (R.I.P)
2011 Kawasaki Versys 650
Mike

SuziGirl

#10 Post by SuziGirl » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:24 pm

Woo hoo! I had so much fun last time! I will probably most likely be attending this as well! Patty, if its ok I may take you up on your offer? It will take an hour and a half to ride up from San Jose.
Ok realistic question... might sound kinda dumb. Lol. Have any of you ladies ever ridden a guy on the back? Serious question lol. Thanks! :D :lol:

CrashDummy
CU Supporter

#11 Post by CrashDummy » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:06 pm

Hope to make this ride.
How to make a small fortune racing ... start with a large one.

Go into a corner with a little less speed and come out faster

maygoddess

#12 Post by maygoddess » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:58 pm

SuziGirl wrote:Woo hoo! I had so much fun last time! I will probably most likely be attending this as well! Patty, if its ok I may take you up on your offer? It will take an hour and a half to ride up from San Jose.
Ok realistic question... might sound kinda dumb. Lol. Have any of you ladies ever ridden a guy on the back? Serious question lol. Thanks! :D :lol:
hi julie! You are welcome to stay over! I know that would be alot of riding in one day!
So ya planning to ride a guy on your back? I know it is done..gals who ride guys on the back..some men would NEVER do it...but others will...to each his own. I am way tooooo new to ride even a small dog on my back...not sure I ever would be comfy riding anyone on my back!!

I will hold you a space in the house! Do you plan on attending AJ's motorcycle maintenance clinic on the 14th? I will be attending for sure. So if you plan on riding it for that..we can just ride over to my house after..she is only about 10 minute ride away!

Patty

HoneyBadger
Contributing Member

#13 Post by HoneyBadger » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:07 am

Julie, I have, on several occasions. If you've never ridden two-up before, I would NOT recommend a group ride the place to start - do some local stuff first, and get used to the feeling. The bike is going to feel rather different, and any issues you have with smoothness, stability coming to a stop, etc are all going to be amplified (even if you don't realize it's an issue, someone wiggling around on the back will quickly point out that you're not as stable as you thought you were). You're going to stop slower, it throws off your suspension - lots of little things.

When it comes to passengers (doesn't matter if it's a guy or a gal), a few things to keep in mind: 1) you don't want them to outweigh you by too much. I think the biggest weight difference that was comfortable for me was about a 60 pound difference, and that really threw off the bike dynamics - but he was a good passenger so it was okay. 2) The attitude of the passenger - this one is more of an issue with a guy. You do NOT want them to think they should be "helping" in any way, shape, or form. I have a standard pre-ride speech I give any passenger, and depending on the person, I may emphasize some points. Despite that, I still had one guy who I literally had to chew out half way through the ride. Having someone on the back who's fighting what you're doing in the front is not a comfortable feeling when you're on two. 3) You should be 100% confident and comfortable with handling your bike in less than comfortable situations alone before considering taking a passenger - for example, hitting some gravel mid-corner and having it slide around a bit, sudden stops, scrubbing speed mid-corner, high winds, etc.

Having a good passenger on a bike you are comfortable with can be fun, and you don't even need to putz around. Patty and I kept up a pretty decent clip on the last CU ride, but she was a GREAT passenger, and that can make all the difference in the world. I'd also had passengers a number of times previously, mostly solo rides but had done longer, twisty rides with them before (after doing several around-town little rides). I would NOT have wanted a twisty group ride to be my first two-up experience, but it's pleasant once you're used to it and have a good passenger.

Also - you are going to get a LOT more tired, so keep that in mind as well. For me, I'd say I get tired about 3X faster than normal, and that's with a good passenger. A poor passenger on a shortish (for me) ride will make me feel like I just did a marathon!
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul." ~Unknown

2017 Kawasaki ZX10R (race)
2016 Kawasaki ZX10R (street/B bike)

My Journey Towards Road Racing Blog:
http://honeybadger302.blogspot.com/?m=1

SuziGirl

#14 Post by SuziGirl » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:28 am

Wow thanks! I wasn't thinking of bringing a passenger to this ride, I was just wondering what a male passenger could be like.I've ridden my daughter on the back just fine but I can see a guy trying to help or guide or fight what I'm doing. I just wanted some input. Thanks!

sweetchristin85

#15 Post by sweetchristin85 » Mon May 02, 2011 12:34 pm

Hi all, I might just have to show my face to this one, since I don't think I'm working (for once!) and no more school after the 14th (woohoo!).