Motorcycle Maintanence Workshops!

Group rides, clinics, and charity rides.
Roll out with a valid motorcycle license, insurance, and current registration. Curve Unit will not be held responsible for mishaps that result in personal injury or property damage. Motorcycle riding is inherently dangerous, so you ride at your own risk.

Moderators: NinjaMama, Fanny Fligurl, Officers

HoneyBadger
Contributing Member

Motorcycle Maintanence Workshops!

#1 Post by HoneyBadger » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:38 am

These workshops are open to all the ladies who would like to like to learn to get a little more "hand's on" with their bikes. The first workshop will be a more basic workshop, but will cover a lot of important topics that anyone on two (or three!) should know. The second one will be the "advanced" workshop covering topics that are a bit more involved.

If you have something specific you would like us to cover, and it's not on the list, let me know! Your SO's are welcome to come hang out with James and help out with the cooking :)

There will be a potluck-style BBQ to follow, so bring your meat of choice and a dish to share...we have a very large SMOKER, so bring something that you would like tossed on there and it can cook while we're all working :D

Bring your bike if you want to see things specifically on your bike, otherwise we'll be using whatever is here. We live on a small court, and I'll warn the neighbors beforehand that we'll be taking over for the day. There's plenty of street parking near the court if you wanted to haul your bike in. More nitty gritty details below.

Workshop #1 - April 23rd @ 3:00pm:
-Checking and lubricating chains
-Checking fluids
-The "Before U Ride" Checklist
-Checking over the bike
-"How-to" on bike manuals
-Basic fairing removal
-Oil change
-Tying down/loading unloading

Workshop #2 - May 14th @ 3:00pm (the day before our ride):
-Tire changes
-Prepping for trackdays
-Basic Suspension check and set up
-Brakes
-Tying down and loading/unloading (figure we can do this one twice)
-Sweep truck protocol
-Accident protocol when on the street and on the track
-Periodic maintenance - what to do yourself, what to get a pro for

Details:
If anyone wanted to stay in the area on the 14th, there are several people who are happy to let you crash there for the night. Post up in this forum or PM myself or maygoddess and let us know you'd like to stay (or others if they're willing to host). As a warning, I have dogs and cats, so if you have severe allergies, you'll want to hit up maygoddess for a place to crash :D

-Wear some work clothes - you're going to be getting dirty, and crawling on the ground a bit.
-If you like, buy some gloves to wear - they don't prevent all dirt, but they help.
-Bring paper and pen if you want to take notes, photos are obviously more than welcome as well.
-If you have the shop or owner's manual for your bike bring that with you.

Most of all we'll be out here to learn how to care for our own bikes, while having fun and hanging out together! If you have any questions, feel free to post them up or PM me! ALSO: For the address, please PM me or one of the other members (they can access my address in the members only section) but I don't want to post it on the public forum.
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul." ~Unknown

2017 Kawasaki ZX10R (race)
2016 Kawasaki ZX10R (street/B bike)

My Journey Towards Road Racing Blog:
http://honeybadger302.blogspot.com/?m=1

Fanny Fligurl
President

Re: Motorcycle Maintanence Workshops!

#2 Post by Fanny Fligurl » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:27 pm

I'm in for May 14. BBQ, slumber party, and showing my bike some love....perfect combo.

AJ - Do you need me to bring any tools? I'll probably trailer out.
Humanity is a terrible thing to waste. Be patient, treat others with respect, and ride like you borrowed it indefinitely!

HoneyBadger
Contributing Member

#3 Post by HoneyBadger » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:39 pm

Fanny Fligurl wrote:I'm in for May 14. BBQ, slumber party, and showing my bike some love....perfect combo.

AJ - Do you need me to bring any tools? I'll probably trailer out.
For tire changing, yes - I don't yet have the tools to change tires, only get them off the bike. Also, if you happen to have a spanner wrench set, I don't have those yet, either. I've got sockets, metric and SAE wrenches, and all the "normal" tools and one "on the bike" kit. Spare stands would be useful so we can have multiple stations if we want them (or multiple bikes up and ready).

LadyGadget

#4 Post by LadyGadget » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:19 pm

I'll be there on the 23rd. I love tools, dirt, and machines. I can pick up anyone on the way or even a little out of the way (I'm in Antioch). Our other car is a FJ Cruiser so I can fit at least 4 more ladies plus our food! If interested, please pm me.

Unfortunately I have to work on May 14th so I won't be able to make it, but I sure wish I could.

How Fun!

Correction:
I forgot I was on vacation that week, so I will be there on 5/14. I don't think I'll stay up that way overnight, but not sure. Yay!
Last edited by LadyGadget on Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass..
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

maygoddess

#5 Post by maygoddess » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:21 pm

Hey AJ! I am in for the 23rd and most likely 14th...at least to watch and learn some advanced topics as well as the basics!

As it turns out..my first service on my bike should be this week. I FINALLY hit 600 miles which is the recommended miles for Suzuki to want me to bring in the bike to do all the initial checks and stuff. So my bike won't really need an oil change on the 23rd..unless you know all the things that Powersports would check on the initial check and you can use MY bike as a service demo bike? Let me know before my make my appt with Beau.

And yes...I would be happy to let anyone crash here at my house in AmCan Friday and/or Saturday night. BUT..I am a cat house too. So if you are allergic to cats...sorry...I would happily pass out some Claritan if needed! :-) If anyone wants to stay over, please let me know by Thursday of this week so I am prepared for guests! I have a guest bedroom with a queen, a pull out queen sofa and a sofa in family room that at least 2 could crash on..and floor space!

Patty

maygoddess

#6 Post by maygoddess » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:24 pm

Oops...just adding this thought...A group of us on BARF just started a Sunday weekly Napa "biker breakfast" and ride after..we just did our first yesterday...went to berryessa. Even tho next sunday is easter..if anyone wants to stay over Saturday night...you could hang Sunday for the Napa breakfast and ride. We are still planning the actual ride...MAY be out to Pt reyes..or perhaps an easy jaunt up to Calistoga and back via Silverado and hwy 29..still working it out!! We meet at 9am at Hwy 29 Cafe which is just 4 miles from my house! We eat...then we ride!!

Patty

HoneyBadger
Contributing Member

#7 Post by HoneyBadger » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:37 pm

Patty we may join you guys on Sunday :D since we don't celebrate easter here, it would be a fun way to spend the day!

HoneyBadger
Contributing Member

#8 Post by HoneyBadger » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:40 pm

maygoddess wrote:unless you know all the things that Powersports would check on the initial check and you can use MY bike as a service demo bike? Let me know before my make my appt with Beau.
I'm not sure what all is in the initial checks, I'd have to check the manual to see, and since all my bikes have been used I haven't had to go through that experience myself :oops:

maygoddess

#9 Post by maygoddess » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:46 pm

Hey AJ..I think the 600 mile check..other than its first oil and oil filter change..is just a bunch of small checks to make sure the bike has broken in okay and everything is tight and working fine...I have the list from my manual. Perhaps..up to you..if noone else is in need of an oil change..I can talk to Beau and perhaps they just do the general systems checks but leave the oil/filter change for you to demo? Perhaps you can call him and ask what he would be checking and if there is anything from the list you would need to demo..you can do..the rest he can do? I am totally cool with whatever works if ya need a demo bike where ya need to do real stuff as opposed to just going through the motions! :-)

I left a message for Beau today..they should be calling me back tomorrow.

Patty

Fanny Fligurl
President

#10 Post by Fanny Fligurl » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:03 am

HRDWarrior wrote:For tire changing, yes - I don't yet have the tools to change tires, only get them off the bike. Also, if you happen to have a spanner wrench set, I don't have those yet, either. I've got sockets, metric and SAE wrenches, and all the "normal" tools and one "on the bike" kit. Spare stands would be useful so we can have multiple stations if we want them (or multiple bikes up and ready).
Oh shizzle, let me be more specific. I too do not have the machine to actually remove the tire from the rim. I was referring to taking tires off the bike so a shop can mount new rubber. My bad. Also, I think I have the funny looking moon shaped wrenches (spanner) and I'll bring a couple extra front & rear stands to set up stations. So stoked to see so much interest. Girl power!
Humanity is a terrible thing to waste. Be patient, treat others with respect, and ride like you borrowed it indefinitely!

butterfly
Contributing Member

#11 Post by butterfly » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:54 pm

:D im in for the14th and perhaps for the 23rd

NinjaMama
Emerita

#12 Post by NinjaMama » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:21 am

I'll be there for both. I'm going to haul my bike for a demo on loading, and a comparison on removing fairings.
Sabrina
Sabrina fair...
Listen where thou art sitting
under the glassie, cool, translucent wave,
in twisted braids of lillies knitting
the loose train of thy amber-dropping hair.

My Avatar is by http://enayla.deviantart.com/. She painted the entire image with Photoshop and a graphics tablet. Do yourself a favor and click on her name.

Chill

#13 Post by Chill » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:31 pm

I'll be there too although I will need to leave early. Gotta be at work at 6pm in San Ramon.

See you all there!
Chill
"Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
-- Josh Billings

I just NEED to know!
**just call me Chill**

HoneyBadger
Contributing Member

#14 Post by HoneyBadger » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:32 pm

Great! Looking forward to seeing everyone, should have some good stuff to go over and get dirty working on! 8)

maygoddess

#15 Post by maygoddess » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:25 pm

Justed to share a big THANK YOU to AJ for hosting the workshop yesterday! My girl was the demo bike and she got her first service check yesterday! All of us learned a new skill..removing and reattaching a stunt cage! LOL. Forgot that my cage was attached to faring and that meant it had to be removed to get to oil filter! So that was fun! Learned some great things about my bike..first of many new lessons so I can take care of my girl as much as possible!

It was great hanging with Sabrina, Chill (for a brief time), Patty, Aj and James.
I look forward to the next one on the 14th!

Patty