Newbie from San Ramon

Please tell us a little about yourself and what brought you here. We'd love to hear it!

Moderators: NinjaMama, Fanny Fligurl, Officers

Cbeau
CU Supporter

Newbie from San Ramon

#1 Post by Cbeau » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:48 am

Hello Curve Unit!

I'm Christie, and am brand new to riding. I took my first ride on New Year's Day 2014 and it was exhilarating to say the least! After toying with the idea of learning to ride in my 40s, I took the MSF riding class one rainy weekend in April, got my license in June and bought a 2007 Ninja 250 in July.... I haven’t ridden it much and am eager to get going.

So I’m new to riding and new to mechanical things…I am looking for advice about battery life. I killed my battery after not riding/starting it for a month or so. I bought a trickle charger and have heard mixed ideas about leaving it plugged in whenever not riding it or plug it in only during the winter. What is the best practice for not killing your battery, especially when you don’t ride every week?

Oh, and can anyone recommend some good boots and pants? I ride in jeans and tennis shoes at the moment.

I look forward to meeting and riding with you all soon!

Rollin on 3
CU Supporter

Re: Newbie from San Ramon

#2 Post by Rollin on 3 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:45 pm

Hi Christie

I'm Anamarie from Tracy. Welcome! My solution to avoid a dead battery is to ride year round.lol As for gear you have to try on everything to make sure the fit and comfort. You might end up having to buy a few items until you find the perfect gear. Although I ride occasionally in tennies I wouldn't recommend it. I'm alway afraid of the shoe laces getting caught. I wear leather pants but there is alot of stuff out there especially used.
I'm free weekdays some weekends let's have coffee.
Congrats on getting your M1 :clap:
Just Rollin
~Anamarie~

BigSky
Secretary

#3 Post by BigSky » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:23 pm

Hey Christie,

Welcome! I'm with Anamarie, you need to ride more often! :lol: I had the exact same bike and the battery died if I didn't ride it for one week. I am so not mechanically inclined, but my hubby thinks a weekly ride is better for the bike/battery/oil than trickle charging it year-round. But take that with a grain of salt because he's no mechanic either. :)

It'd be reeeally good to get some boots and pants. My very first group ride I was wearing jeans and I got into an accident and hurt my knee. Learn from my mistakes! :grin: My vote: any gear is better than no gear right now. If you watch craigslist closely, you'll find good deals. Otherwise head over to Scuderia to visit our girl Maggie and she'll hook you up!

I replied to your note from earlier today. I hope we get to meet you at the ride, or at least the lunch!
Jen L.
Yamaha FZ-09

Special K
CU Supporter

#4 Post by Special K » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:24 pm

Hi Christie - Kelly here. Welcome to our page/forum! How did you hear about us? I'm always curious to know. :)

I, too, started out on a Ninja 250. Had a dead battery maybe twice in the 2 years I owned that bike, but my solution was to ride as much as possible. I have a trickle charger, but it's never been used. :grin:

+1 on the above gear suggestions. Craigslist has some real bargains. The local stores never seem to have enough variety in brand, size, and color for me to decide, so I tend to mail order pants and jackets 3-at-a-time, and then return whatever I don't like or doesn't fit. BikeBandit doesn't charge restocking fees on apparel returns and their RMA process makes it easy (and free) to return stuff.

Looking forward to meeting you. Hope you can join us on a ride soon!
Kelly
2011 GSX-R 750
2003 Ninja 250 (buh-bye!)
AMA #2787667
Two wrongs don't make a right. But three lefts do.

Motomom
Emerita

#5 Post by Motomom » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:19 pm

Hey Christie.... Tina here and let me say that I also started street riding with a 250 Ninja, first a 2005 then a 2007. What great bikes!!!

You most definitely need some gear and suggest that if you need to go conservative with the mind that you can get bigger/badder/better later, Cycle Gear is great for those beginning to get their gear. The Dublin store is near you.

It would be so awesome for you to make it out on our next ride which happens to 'Ladies Only'. I understand that you have been in contact with two of our ladies and suggest that you get some seat time in and that will help with the dead battery issue. Or at the very least, walk out to it every couple of days and start it, run it for like five minutes then it will be good. :shock:

Anywho... it would be great to meet you!!
Tina....

Settle for nothing, Strive for everything!!

maguar
Hangaround

#6 Post by maguar » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:31 pm

Hi Christie!
Sorry this is a bit late, I'm glad you're hanging out :) I too started on a 250 Ninja and it certainly was a fun ride.

If you do go for rides to charge your battery, try to keep it over 45minutes to not just run it down further. Definitely stretch it out if you have time for a longer ride.

And for sure, any gear is better than none! You're always welcome to swing by Scuderia in SF and see what we have and what we can order for you. Email works too if you don't have time: maggieb@scuderiawest.com And also agreed, you will start to learn what you like as you keep trying things out.

The shop is also an excellent place for questions regarding parts and maintenance. I don't have much for answers here, but our parts department is totally rad.

Hope to see more of you soon!
Maggie

Rollin on 3
CU Supporter

#7 Post by Rollin on 3 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:18 pm

motomom7 wrote:Hey Christie.... Tina here and let me say that I also started street riding with a 250 Ninja, first a 2005 then a 2007. What great bikes!!!

Queen on twofitty, look out for a lot of questions from Christie about her bike. I have no clue,hahahha
Just Rollin
~Anamarie~

Motomom
Emerita

#8 Post by Motomom » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:56 pm

Rollin on 3 wrote: Queen on twofitty, look out for a lot of questions from Christie about her bike. I have no clue,hahahha
Well, I know an excellent person to turn to when it comes to mechanical stuff. He is who I have always considered my 250 Guru. When you're ready Christie, let me know and I'll give you his info. :-)
Tina....

Settle for nothing, Strive for everything!!