Riding advice

Post your technique questions here!

Moderators: NinjaMama, Fanny Fligurl, Officers

Enjoy the Ride
Hangaround

Riding advice

#1 Post by Enjoy the Ride » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:20 am

I have been riding for about a year. My lil 250's 1st birthday is coming up on March 23rd. (YAYYY!!!) i don't ride too much other then the CU rides. I try to ride every day that i can to work but my commute is a joke.

With that being said I still thought that i was doing really good riding. I get tense when doing the twisties and just now I am looking through the turns without having to remind myself every turn to do so. I use my blinker 98% of the time, i shift really good. (every once in a while i down shift two gears, when only one is really needed) so i have been listening to the engine much more.

Now after the last group ride i asked advice to the sweep of our to the ride and back home group. And was mentioned that
- need to get more confortable (i def get tense every once in a while) but on the highways i feel much better then the twisties.
-not to not be scared of cracks in the road.... If my tires are bouncing what is the harm in moving out of the way?
-to make myself more visible to cars - i thought i was doing that prettywell. I def try not tostay in anyones blind spots and make eye contact.
-be more agressive : i thought i was doing that as well, while staying around the speed limit most of the time...

Don't get me wrong. I asked for the advice and defintely need it. But i am confused and pretty sad to think that I might be an unsafe rider and may be oblivious to traffic around me. I try to look at everything on the road especially cars.

I rememberfrom my first two group rides i kept letting cars pass me and seperating the group. I talked to kelly and she reminded me to always keep the group together.

My question is, from the last couple rides can anyone give me advice on what i may be doing wrong?

I will not let life pass me by.

HoneyBadger
Contributing Member

Re: Riding advice

#2 Post by HoneyBadger » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:19 pm

Barbara - I haven't ridden around you a enough to give any solid advice, but I'd be more than willing to set up a time for us to ride together. I may also try to take next month's ride as a floater depending on our group size/type and could give some advice then as well - although 1-on-1 would be best.

I'll PM you my number if you're interested and we can try to set something up.
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul." ~Unknown

2017 Kawasaki ZX10R (race)
2016 Kawasaki ZX10R (street/B bike)

My Journey Towards Road Racing Blog:
http://honeybadger302.blogspot.com/?m=1

Enjoy the Ride
Hangaround

#3 Post by Enjoy the Ride » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:28 pm

Hi AJ,

That would be awesome. My next couple of weekends are pretty crazy with work and family so it may be a bit. I am planning on making it out there for the next group ride so if you are able to be a floater that would help. I definitely agree that 1 on 1 would be easier .... however you may end up running me over if you get bored on how slow I am going. LOL. Just playing.... I'll give you my go pro so that we can record the action.

Fanny Fligurl
President

#4 Post by Fanny Fligurl » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:45 pm

Don't ever feel discouraged by anyone Barbara. I'm not certain who felt the need to dish out so much information in one sitting, as we all should really focus on one topic at a time. Nonetheless, I suppose there's never any harm in being more mindful.

If you feel you are progressing well, then keep building on that confidence. Truly, confidence is at the heart of every safe rider and everything else becomes soooooooooo much easier.

Funny AJ should mention floating, as I was just thinking about that on the way home Sunday night. I too would like to float through the groups a little bit on April's ride (Mt. Hammy) so I can spend more time with EVERYONE and learn to recognize everyone's unique riding style. No two riders are exactly alike, so advise can only go so far. ;-) Maybe AJ & I can take turns?
Humanity is a terrible thing to waste. Be patient, treat others with respect, and ride like you borrowed it indefinitely!

HoneyBadger
Contributing Member

#5 Post by HoneyBadger » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:37 pm

Or we can practice our passing skills :D

Rollin on 3
CU Supporter

#6 Post by Rollin on 3 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:52 pm

Yay! Great idea Amy and AJ observing. I like when AJ did that on our Carson trip.
Just Rollin
~Anamarie~

Enjoy the Ride
Hangaround

#7 Post by Enjoy the Ride » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:16 pm

Fanny Fligurl wrote:Don't ever feel discouraged by anyone Barbara. I'm not certain who felt the need to dish out so much information in one sitting, as we all should really focus on one topic at a time. Nonetheless, I suppose there's never any harm in being more mindful.

If you feel you are progressing well, then keep building on that confidence. Truly, confidence is at the heart of every safe rider and everything else becomes soooooooooo much easier.

Funny AJ should mention floating, as I was just thinking about that on the way home Sunday night. I too would like to float through the groups a little bit on April's ride (Mt. Hammy) so I can spend more time with EVERYONE and learn to recognize everyone's unique riding style. No two riders are exactly alike, so advise can only go so far. ;-) Maybe AJ & I can take turns?

Thank you Amy. I would love to have you both take turns with me. Advice from all of you is so important even though i refrain from asking on the group rides as I know that you all have a lot of other people to focus on.

Motomom
CU Supporter

#8 Post by Motomom » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:07 am

Fanny Fligurl wrote:Don't ever feel discouraged by anyone Barbara. I'm not certain who felt the need to dish out so much information in one sitting, as we all should really focus on one topic at a time. Nonetheless, I suppose there's never any harm in being more mindful.

Amen!!!!
Tina....

Settle for nothing, Strive for everything!!

BigSky
Secretary

#9 Post by BigSky » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:27 pm

Enjoy the Ride wrote:Thank you Amy. I would love to have you both take turns with me. Advice from all of you is so important even though i refrain from asking on the group rides as I know that you all have a lot of other people to focus on.
I'd reeeeally like that too. But I understand you're a little "busy" with leading the ride and all. ;-)
Jen L.
Yamaha FZ-09

HoneyBadger
Contributing Member

#10 Post by HoneyBadger » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:39 pm

Typically if Amy and I are floating along the group we get to take some time behind all of the girls - and can spend more time with a few if they request it :mrgreen:

LadyGadget

#11 Post by LadyGadget » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:58 pm

While I agree we need to keep the group together Barbara, if you feel you're holding up cars, let them pass. Time will come when they won't be able to keep up with you. And one can't be "aggressive" until they figure out exactly what their own comfort level is and make an effort to push that envelope safely. You're doing fine. You are riding safely and not endangering your fellow riders or yourself. That's the 1st priority. And with the guidance and patience of CU, the rest will come. You are probably much further along than you think. As it is in so many aspects of life, stay within yourself and you will succeed.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass..
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Enjoy the Ride
Hangaround

#12 Post by Enjoy the Ride » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:36 pm

LadyGadget wrote:While I agree we need to keep the group together Barbara, if you feel you're holding up cars, let them pass. Time will come when they won't be able to keep up with you. And one can't be "aggressive" until they figure out exactly what their own comfort level is and make an effort to push that envelope safely. You're doing fine. You are riding safely and not endangering your fellow riders or yourself. That's the 1st priority. And with the guidance and patience of CU, the rest will come. You are probably much further along than you think. As it is in so many aspects of life, stay within yourself and you will succeed.
Thank you Patty J. That was very well said!! I have come a very long way in the last year and all is Thanks to CU

Motomom
CU Supporter

#13 Post by Motomom » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:10 am

Enjoy the Ride wrote:
LadyGadget wrote:While I agree we need to keep the group together Barbara, if you feel you're holding up cars, let them pass. Time will come when they won't be able to keep up with you. And one can't be "aggressive" until they figure out exactly what their own comfort level is and make an effort to push that envelope safely. You're doing fine. You are riding safely and not endangering your fellow riders or yourself. That's the 1st priority. And with the guidance and patience of CU, the rest will come. You are probably much further along than you think. As it is in so many aspects of life, stay within yourself and you will succeed.
Thank you Patty J. That was very well said!! I have come a very long way in the last year and all is Thanks to CU
Yes, it was. Thank you PattyJ!!! xoxo
Tina....

Settle for nothing, Strive for everything!!