Braking in a turn.

Post your technique questions here!

Moderators: NinjaMama, Fanny Fligurl, Officers

SabreSarah
CU Supporter

#31 Post by SabreSarah » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:12 pm

They're not spoke-wheels... and I'm not sure of the suspension. Seems like that might be an issue... the guy that owned that bike was like over 300lbs... and maybe he did some damage? Maybe I'm not thinking the right thing. But i was thinking alignment maybe... Something with high speeds on a turn just make my handlebars wobble... not a quick wobble though, a pretty exaggerated one. I haven't dealt with speed wobbles... so I can't compare those. I'm going to get it all serviced, and I can have them check it out... Just seems like they'd have to ride it at about 80 around the 17 in order to even see what the issue was! Not good! I dunno! Rrrg!
-Savage!

Vampires MC SC Chapter Member
408 SBF Big Perm's Prospect - tee hee!

SabreSarah
CU Supporter

#32 Post by SabreSarah » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:14 pm

CrashDummy wrote:It sounds like you're pushing the old Sabre to its limit on 17. :lol: Quick, get this girl to a track. The fact it's fine on 9 makes me think the higher speed on 17 is just enough to put the bike's suspension to its limit. Do the shocks have the original oil in them? Are the seals leaking? Do the tires look like they're wearing normally. Is the steering head bearing loose? My buddy Clark just adjusted Christen's 600 steering head bearing. It was really loose.
The seals aren't leaking and i get it properly serviced... Not sure about the original oil since I don't do my own work, I would think not... but who knows? The tires are pretty new, and wearing fine. I have no idea about the steering head bearing. Is there an easy way to test that? Maybe it is the suspension...
-Savage!

CrashDummy
CU Supporter

#33 Post by CrashDummy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:09 pm

Here's how to check steering head bearings according to my Honda 1100 Shadow shop manual:

Raise the front wheel off the ground.
Check that the handlebar moves freely from side to side. If the handlebar moves unevenly, binds, or has vertical movement, inspect the steering head bearings.
How to make a small fortune racing ... start with a large one.

Go into a corner with a little less speed and come out faster

SabreSarah
CU Supporter

#34 Post by SabreSarah » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:25 pm

LOL! the tricky part is getting my front end up... anyone have a jack? LOL. i think i might have one for my car... :-P
-Savage!

Immortal Anti-conformist

#35 Post by Immortal Anti-conformist » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:14 pm

SabreSarah wrote:LOL! the tricky part is getting my front end up... anyone have a jack? LOL. i think i might have one for my car... :-P
just wheelie it and park it at a 12 0'clock...
Anti-con, 5one0 Delinquent, B.A.D.M.C.
When a Police Officer ask, "Do you know why I pulled you over?" Do not respond with, "Do you know why I had you pull me over?"

SabreSarah
CU Supporter

#36 Post by SabreSarah » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:34 pm

LOL!!! That's awesome. I'll try that. Who's got a video camera?
-Savage!

Killa P

#37 Post by Killa P » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:51 pm

SabreSarah wrote:LOL!!! That's awesome. I'll try that. Who's got a video camera?
I do, you can borrow mine!! haha
Most guys love Double D's... I say Nay Nay...

I love Double R's

2008 Honda CBR 600RR (graffiti)

Killa P snipersmilie

sadmac

#38 Post by sadmac » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:58 pm

I dont know much about the cruiser dynamics but had a few questions.

Does this happen in turns going both directions (left & right)?

Did this just start or has it always been this way?

Have you experienced it on roads other than 17? Say, hwy 92? or some other relatively twisty high speed road?

Did you ever adjust your suspension for your weight after buying it from said michelin man?

Down to the more basics, is the tire pressure staying consistent between pre-flight inspections?

Do you hear any noise from the suspension when this happens (ie: clanking,banging,excess rebounding)?

-J
Josh (Big Perm)
2001 Honda VFR 800Fi
2001 Honda RC51 SP-1
2008 Ducati 1098S
SBFreaks MC 408 Chapter Road Captain

SabreSarah
CU Supporter

#39 Post by SabreSarah » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:34 am

sadmac wrote:I dont know much about the cruiser dynamics but had a few questions.

Does this happen in turns going both directions (left & right)?

Did this just start or has it always been this way?
Have you experienced it on roads other than 17? Say, hwy 92? or some other relatively twisty high speed road?
Did you ever adjust your suspension for your weight after buying it from said michelin man?
Down to the more basics, is the tire pressure staying consistent between pre-flight inspections?
Do you hear any noise from the suspension when this happens (ie: clanking,banging,excess rebounding)?

-J
Wow! Sadmac the mechanic! Ok... you should have numbered your questions. I'll start from the bottom up:

-No noise ever when my bike does that, just wobbling.
-If no one will murder me here, I am totally embarrassed to say i really don't check the pressure, but about a month ago before a ride my buddy checked and said they were fine.
-My suspension was adjusted, but he had bough new suspension that accommodated a larger load (if i may) and i had just made the suspension as loose as possible (is that the right word?)
-It IS occurring on other freeways, haven't been on the 92, but HWY 1 has some curvies that this happens on as well.
-It seems like either I'm speeding up and this is a new issue because I've gotten faster, or it's a new issue because something is wrong with something on my bike.
-I think that most of the wobbling occurs when i turn right, but that might also be because for some reason I'm more comfortable turning right than left on most roads... i don't really care for the outside curves, i like the slope-y inside ones...

Wow you guys are awesome! Thanks for the help!
-Savage!

sadmac

#40 Post by sadmac » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:05 am

SabreSarah wrote:
sadmac wrote:I dont know much about the cruiser dynamics but had a few questions.

1. Does this happen in turns going both directions (left & right)?

2. Did this just start or has it always been this way?
3. Have you experienced it on roads other than 17? Say, hwy 92? or some other relatively twisty high speed road?
4. Did you ever adjust your suspension for your weight after buying it from said michelin man?
5. Down to the more basics, is the tire pressure staying consistent between pre-flight inspections?
6. Do you hear any noise from the suspension when this happens (ie: clanking,banging,excess rebounding)?

-J
Wow! Sadmac the mechanic! Ok... you should have numbered your questions. I'll start from the bottom up:

-No noise ever when my bike does that, just wobbling.
-If no one will murder me here, I am totally embarrassed to say i really don't check the pressure, but about a month ago before a ride my buddy checked and said they were fine.
-My suspension was adjusted, but he had bough new suspension that accommodated a larger load (if i may) and i had just made the suspension as loose as possible (is that the right word?)
-It IS occurring on other freeways, haven't been on the 92, but HWY 1 has some curvies that this happens on as well.
-It seems like either I'm speeding up and this is a new issue because I've gotten faster, or it's a new issue because something is wrong with something on my bike.
-I think that most of the wobbling occurs when i turn right, but that might also be because for some reason I'm more comfortable turning right than left on most roads... i don't really care for the outside curves, i like the slope-y inside ones...

Wow you guys are awesome! Thanks for the help!
6. The lack of noise usually rules out the suspension components. You'd usually hear clanking or feel excessive rebound if you had faulty forks/damper, at least in my limited sportbike experience.

4. When you loosened the suspension, you simply dialed everything as loose as possible? You might want to play with it and try tightening it up some. This shouldnt cause a wobble, unless your pre-load (if you have such a thing) is not even. Although, i suspect you would of felt this at lower speeds way before now.

5. I'd check your tire pressure, just because you should be doing that anyways. Tires in less than optimal configuration act weird and increase wear. You should at least get familiar with what a properly inflated tire feels like (give it the squeeze test) so you know when its drastically off. I admit i dont hit it with a tire gauge every day, like some of the more die hards do.

It's common for people to have a preference in turning and to feel more confident doing that particular direction of curve faster than the other.

How old are your tires (years/months/miles)?

It sounds like you may have just reached the limits of your suspension, if your tires are good. The one time i experienced a wobble on my bike, the rear tire had lost its crowning and under heavy acceleration it would wobble like crazy.
Josh (Big Perm)
2001 Honda VFR 800Fi
2001 Honda RC51 SP-1
2008 Ducati 1098S
SBFreaks MC 408 Chapter Road Captain

KJNRIDR

#41 Post by KJNRIDR » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:19 pm

K, Well I've never been to the track nor am I even close to a pro, but I almost always feather my rear brake in every turn. It pulls me through the turns. It's just the way that I ride and to me, trying to ride without will cause me to be nervous and skittish. Which will make me more dangerous :-)

That's just my style. I do stay off of the front brake in turns at all times as this will straighten you up more where as the rear brake pulls you through more.
It's Never To Late To Do What You Love!!!

KJNRIDR

#42 Post by KJNRIDR » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:32 pm

OOOk so: It's been brought to my attention (thanks JESSI :-D) that I replied to a comment about braking in a turn when the last half of the thread was about steering wobble. My bad.

BUT! to my defense the title of the thread reads "Braking in a Turn" soo yes I didn't read the last half of the thread before responding, oooppsie, but you can't blame me, I mean "I" did stay on topic! ;-)

Peace to all, ;-) just letting everyone one know that I'm not really an idiot and that sometimes I just act like it hehehehe LOL.

KJNRIDR

#43 Post by KJNRIDR » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:47 pm

Last one I promise :-D

ok maybe not, but anyways...

So on cruisers, most likely you do not have a steering damper, when hitting speeds of 80 and above you may feel wobble on your front end. The steering head bearings are a good thing to check as well and you have been told the correct way to check them.

Suspension being set too loose may cause you to feel a "wobble" of some sort because your front end may be "bouncing" up and down a few times trying to level out.

1) Check the tire pressure
2) Check the steering head bearings
3) Tighten your suspension so that when you push down on it, it goes down and comes back up but not to fast and after returning up it should settle into it's resting position. So you should get ONE down, ONE up, and then rest movement.
4) Another thing if all this is done and you still feel wobble, try to notice if you feel it at all when braking, and try to take notice if it's during hard braking or soft braking as well. Sometime your brake rotors can be warped and you'll feel a pulsing/wobble.

K,