Braking in a turn.

Post your technique questions here!

Moderators: NinjaMama, Fanny Fligurl, Officers

Chill

Braking in a turn.

#1 Post by Chill » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:30 pm

I am a new rider (5000 miles) and I heard that you should try to avoid breaking in a turn. How true is this and in what situations should I be careful using the break?
"Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
-- Josh Billings

I just NEED to know!
**just call me Chill**

loops954
CU Supporter

#2 Post by loops954 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:55 pm

i won't pretend i'm a turn pro, but, if your going to slow down you should do it before you get to the turn. if you don't commit to the curve, you can possible down your bike.

Jess/Amy/Des might have some more info. they've been to a few classes.

*chamorita*
CU Supporter

#3 Post by *chamorita* » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:42 pm

You should complete all your braking before entering a turn, but there were times when I had to break whie in a turn.. I wasn't able to lean as much as I wanted to and it sure did bring my bike upright...
Apply light pressure while braking... or trail break....
Desiree
2003 CBR F4i Silver & Black BABY

Jello_Biafra

#4 Post by Jello_Biafra » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:09 pm

Des hit the nail on the head. If you need to come to a stop, you need to stand the bike back up and then brake. If you just need to reduce speed a bit to avoid blowing the turn, very light and even pressure is the way to go. Grabbing the brakes is gonna cause the front tire to lose traction laterally and slide, causing a lowside.

The other solution is to just lean that extra little bit. If you're riding conservatively on the street, you should have enough lean angle left to get you out of a situation.

Really the only way to avoid blowing a turn is to ride only as far as you can see if you don't know the road. Even on familiar roads you shouldn't really push it. You never know what hazards may have found their way into a blind turn since the last time you rode there.

Anyhow, rant over, hope it helped. :)

Fanny Fligurl
President

#5 Post by Fanny Fligurl » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:39 am

Exactly Kyle & Des!

I would strongly suggest setting yourself up for the turn very early. You should have your braking, body positioning, and turn-in point already established prior to approaching each turn.

Secondly, if the route enables you to see the next turn (or the next couple turns), it's a great idea to plan for them early. The sooner you prepare yourself to execute turns, the slower the route will become, hense getting rid of the "OH SHIT"/panic mode we sometimes feel when a turn has "snuck up on us."

I fully agree w/Kyle that your first reaction to blowing a corner should be press/lean harder. Street and canyon riding rarely requires you to utilize EXTREME lean angles such as what you would use on a track. So more often than not, you have a lot more leaning that can be done without sacrificing tire integrity.

I guess I could have summed it up by saying: Try to avoid braking in a corner. First response should be to lean/press harder, and if absolutely required, gently apply soft/steady pressure to your brakes. Just remember your bike will naturally want to STAND UP when braking, so ensure you have the space to do so!

Amy
Humanity is a terrible thing to waste. Be patient, treat others with respect, and ride like you borrowed it indefinitely!

Chill

#6 Post by Chill » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:45 pm

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm still getting comfortable leaning in the turns and got myself into a decreasing one at 50 mgh last week. Big "Oh Shit" moment seeing there was a rock cliff hugging it pretty tight. I was too scared to break and also too scared to lean! :shock: I ended up kinda turning but going off onto the shoulder.

So, I will Lean baby lean next time.

Des, what is trail breaking?
-- Josh Billings

I just NEED to know!
**just call me Chill**

*chamorita*
CU Supporter

#7 Post by *chamorita* » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:53 pm

Using the brakes while turning... applying light pressure...
Desiree

Chill

#8 Post by Chill » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:57 pm

Ok. Thanks
-- Josh Billings

I just NEED to know!
**just call me Chill**

Jello_Biafra

#9 Post by Jello_Biafra » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:20 pm

In more detail it's overlapping your braking entering a turn with your turn in. It's a technique that loads the front suspension going into the turn, thus providing more traction than you'd have with the static weight distribution. It's a very delicate thing though, too much brake is gonna dump you on your butt. It's something that you'd want to learn and practice at a track, as it means carrying extra speed into a turn.

*chamorita*
CU Supporter

#10 Post by *chamorita* » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:46 pm

It's something that you'd want to learn and practice at a track, as it means carrying extra speed into a turn
Oh yeah.. thanks... been trying to do this, but have been tooo scared to try it.... going at high speeds...
Desiree

Chill

#11 Post by Chill » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:26 pm

Aw man....I can't think about that yet. Too scared, but do explain more. Does this mean that I will still be on my brake when I enter the turn and then release? At what point? When I know that I am into it far enough that I will not need to lean in more or just until my speed is reduced to something comfortable?

Hope that's not a stupid ??
-- Josh Billings

I just NEED to know!
**just call me Chill**

CrashDummy
CU Supporter

#12 Post by CrashDummy » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:31 am

When you're down to a comfortable speed to lean more or not depending on how you want to take the turn. You can practice trail braking at slow speeds and gradually increase the entrance speed. Trail brake into a turn at s speed you would normally go without trail braking. It's good practice.
How to make a small fortune racing ... start with a large one.

Go into a corner with a little less speed and come out faster

f4igrrl
CU Supporter

#13 Post by f4igrrl » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:39 am

Excuse me for being stupid . . . but does trail braking mean using your rear brake? :?

CrashDummy
CU Supporter

#14 Post by CrashDummy » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:28 am

Front brake, rear brake or both it just means staying on the brakes as you enter the turn. If you are already in a turn and you decide to put the brakes on it is not trail braking.
How to make a small fortune racing ... start with a large one.

Go into a corner with a little less speed and come out faster

Jello_Biafra

#15 Post by Jello_Biafra » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:48 pm

RachellePP04 wrote:Aw man....I can't think about that yet. Too scared, but do explain more. Does this mean that I will still be on my brake when I enter the turn and then release? At what point? When I know that I am into it far enough that I will not need to lean in more or just until my speed is reduced to something comfortable?

Hope that's not a stupid ??
Until you're slowed enough to make the turn! Some guys seem like they're on the brakes all the way to the apex, others are off a lot sooner.