Post your technique questions here!

Moderators: NinjaMama, Fanny Fligurl, Officers

MistrissKittie
Curvalicious

Advice regarding MC Gear Sizing?

#1 Postby MistrissKittie » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:05 pm

Thanks to Motostrano!!

Sizing Tips
What's this European size thing all about? Generally, the European sizing table is the world standard for clothing. Since so many of our products are made in Europe or other countries and many of our customers are abroad as well, we chose to go by the European method of sizing. In general, for jackets and suits, count on your size being 10 above the US size. For other items, use our size chart.

Although size charts are provided, please understand that each product within a manufacturers line-up will vary size-wise. This means that although a shoe may be a size 9, a particular model may be wide or narrow. Or for instance, a jacket may be a size 54 but be long in the arms or short in the torso in one model and the opposite in another model. Therefore your specific size in a clothing item will vary from model to model and definately from manufacturer to manufacturer. Some stuff will run small, some big, most spot on.

There's a difference between size and fit and there's a difference between "your size" as in your t-shirt or casual jacket size and a protective clothing item that fits properly in terms of protecting you for motorcycle riding, and, motorcyle crashing. We sell a lot of suits and leather jackets. All of them are manufactured for both riding and crashing. If I had to guess a number, probably 60% of our customers don't know how an item "should fit". Many, even after our recommendations and advice, will on their own purchase the wrong size because they think it should fit a certain way when in fact it doesn't, at least for what the product was intended to do, purpose wise. For protective motorcycle gear, the products we sell are designed to both protect you and keep you comfortable, as well as look cool. In the end, you will have the final decision, but in the purchasing process, listen to our advice and base your decisions from there. Yes, we are in the business of selling stuff, but will never recommend something to you that is not a good fit.

Leather stretches. It really does! So, if you buy something today that is as comfortable as your worn out jeans or overly washed sweatshirt, you are buying the wrong size.

When trying on a leather suit, if the first thing you do is stretch your shoulders back, raise your arms in the sky and groan because it's uncomfortable, stop. Unless you're purchasing this suit for paragliding or doing jumping jacks, you need to focus on how it fits in the riding position, ie. on your bike, not strolling around in the woods after you've taken that scenic twisty tour through the mountains and stop to take a photo of you and your buddies atop Mt. Twisty. Everything else is cake. In fact, I've even gone so far to say that if you can raise your arms up in the air comfortably, the suit or jacket is not going doing its job for you. A tight fitting jacket or suit will help keep your arms where they need to be in the case of a get off. The thing you are trying on should be snug, not painfully snug, but snug around you, as in a second skin. If it's leather- leather stretches half size to a size.

Pants. Pants with knee sliders attached to them should also fit snug. You should be able to squat and feel the pants tight without the front clasps coming undone. Sliders are not supposed to be on your knee. They are designed to be positioned just under your knee and you should also size the pants for how they are on the bike, not kicking back at the breakfast stop on Sunrise Highway.

Boots. While jackets and pants stretch, good riding boots do not. Also, if you are used to wearing flip-flops on your bike, a set of full race boots with hard ankle and toe protection may feel a little 'bulky'. You'll get used to the extra protection on your feet and it's a lot easier to get used to that than broken ankles or toes.

Helmets. This is the one product that is hard to get right with out a real try on session. Use the size charts above as a guide, but head shape plays a big role in helmet fit and each head is shaped differently.
Gloves. Similar to jackets and suits, leather gloves stretch. The one area that consistently causes sizing issues is finger length. We have a few options for you if finger length becomes a problem so email or call for product recommendations.

Armor. First time motorcycle apparel purchasers are generally uneasy when trying on a jacket or suit with GP-spec EC approved armor. Newbie girls generally can't stand it and will immediately remove a possibly well fitting jacket because it feels constricting and bulky. When this happens in our store, there's little convincing them because they are such experienced shoppers, but we'll still try. Guys usually like the added bulk it seems to give in arms and shoulders, but occasionally guys will be girls too and grown over a good fitting piece of armor. Man up! A well fitting protective jacket has armor that is snug on the elbows, forearms and shoulders. It should be where it will need to be in the event of a get off and if it prevents movement too, to a certain degree, consider it a bonus (you don't want your limbs flailing around in the air during a high side do you?). If you can wiggle your armor off the intended areas that it's supposed to protect, it's not a great fit. On the other hand, if you just can't move your arms with the gear on, that's a problem too.

The small and skinny and the fat and large. Although we are in the 'motorcycle business', we are also in the 'clothing business'. As such, we see first hand all kinds of body shapes and sizes. All of them need and want protection. For the really small and skinny, finding well fitting gear is a challenge, as much as it is for the large and bulky. Some can't be fit at all, most can be fit to a satisfactory degree. Clothing makers have to create products that fit greater amounts of people, which is why if you are at either end of the spectrum, finding a good fit will be an issue. Although custom is always an option, it's rarely needed, except for the most fickle. We get a chuckle from certain folks who pronounce, usually with pride and often on chat boards, that "I can't buy off the rack stuff. I always go custom". Well, it might make you feel real special to think on that, but generally it's a pain in the butt to have to go custom with an item vs buying off the rack. If you are small or big, we'll often let some fitment guidelines slide, on the premise that even poorly fitting protection is generally better than no protection in usual cases.

Custom design is available if you can afford it and require a very unique look, or, are very oddly sized. In our experience, a custom jacket or suit is rarely required due to sizing issues, but more so for customization and uniqueness.

You can check them out at www.motostrano.com
ImageImage

*chamorita*
CU Supporter

#2 Postby *chamorita* » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:22 pm

thanks girl.. good to know..
I just bought another leather pants... Thanks to Dirty Dave in Reno...
I got the Joe Rocket Trixie pants in S, but it doesn't fit my ass that well while standing...lol... It fits well in riding postion... lol...
I've tried the XS at Road Rider... when I tried to sit down, the button at the waist popped off...lol.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
So, I kinda had a hard time deciding on the size...
Desiree
2003 CBR F4i Silver & Black BABY

Indy

#3 Postby Indy » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:39 pm

Thats good advice n all!!!!

**good post/well worth reading***

But I think noting is better that personal experience with brand names, and "types/sizes" of riding gear!

(tell 'em Jessi)

I'll never buy anything but an ICON helmet again!
... It's just Brit

Big Cory
CU Supporter

#4 Postby Big Cory » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:05 pm

Indy_SBFreaks wrote:Thats good advice n all!!!!

**good post/well worth reading***

But I think noting is better that personal experience with brand names, and "types/sizes" of riding gear!

(tell 'em Jessi)

I'll never buy anything but an ICON helmet again!

not so fast my friend, you never know now that you cut off your hair, the helmet might fit completely different.
Big Cory
SBFreaks MC
National Treasurer

Flap
Curvalicious

#5 Postby Flap » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:10 pm

Wow, that is great to read, thank you for the effort! :D
+1 on everything you wrote, enjoyed the fun stuff about the probs with "experienced shoppers"..hahaha...grand! :lol:
http://www.myspace.com/tkdflap
-------------------------------------------
"Idiots are fun - no wonder every village wants one..." :mrgreen:
(House)

Indy

#6 Postby Indy » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:15 pm

BigCorySBFMC707 wrote:not so fast my friend, you never know now that you cut off your hair, the helmet might fit completely different.

True True....

But 1st: I'm, ALREADY wearing a small.... I'm NOT not buying a childrens helmet!!!!

2nd: I'm not so much talking about "fitting into or Sizing" gear, so much as I'm talking about the gear acutally DOING the scary job it was intended to do!

ICON has certainly passed the test in my opinion! If I'm going to take a chance, why not take it with gear that I'M SURE is not going to let me down!
... It's just Brit

chiconaduc
CU Supporter

Re: Advice regarding MC Gear Sizing?

#7 Postby chiconaduc » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:36 pm

Great article.
One more piece of advice I'd give for pants:
Be sure to try swinging you leg over a bike! I tried on a pair of Ducati pants that I loved, loved, loved and were actually on sale for cheap, cheap, cheap. They seemed to fit correctly--snug but not tight--until I tried to get on a bike. I couldn't lift my right leg high enough to swing it over the seat.
Wren
Kiss French, eat Italian, ride British!

"Curve: The loveliest distance between two points." -Mae West

Return to “Riding Tips, Tricks, and Advice”