Girls ---> horses ---> motorcycles

Post your technique questions here!

Moderators: NinjaMama, Fanny Fligurl, Officers

CrashDummy
CU Supporter

#16 Post by CrashDummy » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:04 am

Hey, the previous post was my one thousand's post. Do I win something?
How to make a small fortune racing ... start with a large one.

Go into a corner with a little less speed and come out faster

Scarlett
CU Supporter

#17 Post by Scarlett » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:06 pm

Just caught this yes Randy you win a chocolate fish! (New Zealand thing)

Thread bump!

:lol:
"If it has tires or testicles, you're going to have trouble with it"

Craig Hightower RIP 1961-2007 "Long may you run..."

sweetchristin85

#18 Post by sweetchristin85 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:53 am

I just saw this post, and it also was something I made the connection between. I rode horses for 14 years (from age 4-18), and owned two along the way. I did a lot on horseback (jumping, showing, dressage, some Western events, trailriding). My "Iron Horse" is a CBR600RR, and the feeling I get is so much like a horse. Not just the emotional feeling of freedom, but the physical qualities of having to ride a horse. You have to be subtle with weight and hand movements, smoothly transition from one speed to another, use your weight and legs to guide the horse, never "grab" a handful of throttle (or yank the horses mouth), don't sling your weight around like it doesn't matter. Oh, and wear gear! I was in a bad horse back riding accident when I was 12 that landed me in the hospital. Who knew a horse hurt me worse than a motorcycle ever has (and hopefully ever will *knock on wood*)...

And last but not least... women riders (of horses) have those great, muscular thighs and butts... which of course look awesome on the motorcycle. LOL...

Diabla

Re: Girls ---> horses ---> motorcycles

#19 Post by Diabla » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:38 pm

Yep - I used to ride too... Quarter Horses!
"All knowledge is worth having."

"The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all."

SabreSarah
CU Supporter

#20 Post by SabreSarah » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:52 pm

I been on a horse once, and don't really have interest. 'Cept they look like big puppies. :-D
-Savage!

Vampires MC SC Chapter Member
408 SBF Big Perm's Prospect - tee hee!

chiconaduc
CU Supporter

#21 Post by chiconaduc » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:21 am

I bought my motorcycle to get back at my parents for never buying me a pony. :P
Wren
Kiss French, eat Italian, ride British!

"Curve: The loveliest distance between two points." -Mae West

NinjaMama
Vice President

#22 Post by NinjaMama » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:14 pm

I grew up on a ranch. At one time we had 80 head of horses. I had to feed and clean-up after them. Not to mention 7 dogs, 9 cats, pigs, chickens, ducks, rabbits, and 1 cow (named "Boy"). I've ridden just about every style of riding, and nearly every kind of horse. And believe me... I'd rather have a bike!!! There's a lot less crap you have to pick up after!
:P
S.
Sabrina fair...
Listen where thou art sitting
under the glassie, cool, translucent wave,
in twisted braids of lillies knitting
the loose train of thy amber-dropping hair.

My Avatar is by http://enayla.deviantart.com/. She painted the entire image with Photoshop and a graphics tablet. Do yourself a favor and click on her name.

Jessika
CU Supporter

#23 Post by Jessika » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:42 am

NinjaMama wrote:I grew up on a ranch. At one time we had 80 head of horses. I had to feed and clean-up after them. Not to mention 7 dogs, 9 cats, pigs, chickens, ducks, rabbits, and 1 cow (named "Boy"). I've ridden just about every style of riding, and nearly every kind of horse. And believe me... I'd rather have a bike!!! There's a lot less crap you have to pick up after!
S.
LOL :D
No regrets!

SabreSarah
CU Supporter

#24 Post by SabreSarah » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:56 pm

Niiiice Sabrina! Lol!
-Savage!

Vampires MC SC Chapter Member
408 SBF Big Perm's Prospect - tee hee!

ROL

#25 Post by ROL » Sat May 12, 2012 8:27 am

NinjaMama wrote:I grew up on a ranch. At one time we had 80 head of horses. I had to feed and clean-up after them. Not to mention 7 dogs, 9 cats, pigs, chickens, ducks, rabbits, and 1 cow (named "Boy"). I've ridden just about every style of riding, and nearly every kind of horse. And believe me... I'd rather have a bike!!! There's a lot less crap you have to pick up after!
S.

True, true. I'm another former rider, I rode hunt seat for 12 years growing up. Horses were my life, I worked at the barn mucking stalls and taking care of the schooling and boarding horses. Then I went off to college, didn't have the time or money for it anymore, and that was that. Lo and behold, riding the iron horse has a lot of the same thrills! The speed, the power, the wind blowing around your body.

So why is amateur horseback riding something that young women stereotypically do, and motorcycling usually more condoned for young men? This is kind of an obvious statement, but I think it has to do with the perception of the risks involved. Well, food for thought - this Freakonomics post quotes a CDC study stating that serious injury per riding hours is far more common for horseback riders than motorcycle riders or car racers.

Google turned up another similar stat:

According to the UK Stoke Mandeville hospital, who have conducted a study on accidents, a motorcycle rider is 21 times less likely to suffer a serious accident than a horse rider.

The statistics show that a horse rider has a serious accident on average within 350 hours, while a motorcycle rider has one on average every 7500 hours.

:shock:

HoneyBadger
Contributing Member

#26 Post by HoneyBadger » Sat May 12, 2012 9:04 am

ROL wrote:
S.

True, true. I'm another former rider, I rode hunt seat for 12 years growing up. Horses were my life, I worked at the barn mucking stalls and taking care of the schooling and boarding horses. Then I went off to college, didn't have the time or money for it anymore, and that was that. Lo and behold, riding the iron horse has a lot of the same thrills! The speed, the power, the wind blowing around your body.

So why is amateur horseback riding something that young women stereotypically do, and motorcycling usually more condoned for young men? This is kind of an obvious statement, but I think it has to do with the perception of the risks involved. Well, food for thought - this Freakonomics post quotes a CDC study stating that serious injury per riding hours is far more common for horseback riders than motorcycle riders or car racers.

Google turned up another similar stat:

According to the UK Stoke Mandeville hospital, who have conducted a study on accidents, a motorcycle rider is 21 times less likely to suffer a serious accident than a horse rider.

The statistics show that a horse rider has a serious accident on average within 350 hours, while a motorcycle rider has one on average every 7500 hours.

:shock:

I've been around horses my entire life, and just recently (as in within the last couple months) decided to get out of horses and sell off all my horse stuff - just keeping enough around for my retired horse who I'm still paying for.

I've tried telling my mom the above information - for some reason, despite the fact that I've been hurt on/by horses several times (most serious being a black-out concussion), she simply refuses to admit this fact to herself. I think because things happen faster on a bike than a horse - or something, I'm not sure. I get that parents don't like their kids (no matter how old) to do dangerous things, but as is typical for my mother, she likes to stick her head in the sand about the facts, and make her decision based on her feelings about something. And she FEELS like motorcycles are more dangerous.

I think that's where a lot of the perceptions come from - horses are pretty, soft, and often friendly creatures, whereas motorcycles are cold, hard machines. Therefore, the emotional perception is that horses are nicer than motorcycles, and then people make a safety judgement based on that emotional perception, sticking their heads in the sand to the hard, cold facts.

That, and motorcycle accidents end up all over the news because they happen on public roadways, horseback accidents are never heard about because they happen at some barn away from the public eye.
"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul." ~Unknown

2017 Kawasaki ZX10R (race)
2016 Kawasaki ZX10R (street/B bike)

My Journey Towards Road Racing Blog:
http://honeybadger302.blogspot.com/?m=1

ROL

#27 Post by ROL » Sun May 13, 2012 6:57 pm

HoneyBadger wrote: That, and motorcycle accidents end up all over the news because they happen on public roadways, horseback accidents are never heard about because they happen at some barn away from the public eye.[/b][/color]
100% dead on, HoneyBadger. What you're saying here is something mentioned in those reports - we hear more about bike accidents than horse accidents because they happen more in public spaces, like roads, where LEOs are involved. Horse riding accidents tend to happen on private property, where LEOs aren't called unless somebody dies.

Interestingly, there is a high percentage of horseback riding accidents that involve drugs or alcohol - something almost *never* associated with (hb) riding, more with motorcycling. That's not something I picked up on in the horse culture as a young'n (<18), but maybe is more prevalent among adults in the industry/hobby.