Michelin Pilot Power tire recall

Let's keep this section for moto-talk only folks.

Moderators: NinjaMama, Fanny Fligurl, Officers

H.D.30-06

Michelin Pilot Power tire recall

#1 Post by H.D.30-06 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:09 am

RIDE RIDE GOTTA RIDE !!!
Never mistake kindness for weakness.
2001 H.D. 1200 Sportster(sold)
2008 Suzuki DL650 vstrom (R.I.P)
2011 Kawasaki Versys 650
Mike

Jezebel
CU Supporter

#2 Post by Jezebel » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:02 pm

Thanks for posting Mike. I'm gonna have to check my CT's when I get home...
The fire you kindle for your enemy often burns you more than him.

Flap
Curvalicious

#3 Post by Flap » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:24 am

It's just the front tire:
„Made in France“
DOT 6UCW 980T oder DOT 6UCW 979T
Pilot Power 2CT and Pilot Power

Tires of the last 8 months, not the ones that are made in Spain, just the made in France ones....

Jana
http://www.myspace.com/tkdflap
-------------------------------------------
"Idiots are fun - no wonder every village wants one..." :mrgreen:
(House)

Jezebel
CU Supporter

#4 Post by Jezebel » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:19 am

Damn - that is me. So I know the article says that there have been no injuries from this but what exactly is wrong with the tire? Should I be worried about my track day?
The fire you kindle for your enemy often burns you more than him.

Flap
Curvalicious

#5 Post by Flap » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:23 pm

The front tire can dissolve on the surface anyways when temps to high.
If you ride a pilot power above 25 degrees Celsius on a racetrack without controlling its temperature when riding hard it gets dangerous anyways. The track surface is way more hot than the air temps, adding the friction and the constant pressure pumps the temps up even more.
The PiPo was built for sporty riding on regular roads, it was not built for track and especially not for hot conditions when riding track style.
So be sensible and "listen" to your gut feeling regarding your tires, if it feels shitty or not right anymore it probably is.
If you ride long and hard, you can feel it when it gets shaky/smeary/etc., but you might not feel it in time before it gives way.
There is a reason why there are slicks and/or special tires for track riding.

Just be aware of that.

You HAVE TO get it exchanged where you bought the tire, they pay for everything (Michelin). If something happens with your tire they won't pay for it, it is a public announcement and whoever doesn't follow it (to get them exchanged) will have to pay for any resulting damages him/herself.
(House)

*chamorita*
Emerita

#6 Post by *chamorita* » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:08 pm

Jessi.. I have the same tires and it depends on how hot it is at the track.. My tires were at 30 front and rear the last track, but when I did Buttonwillow 2 years ago, it was sooo hot and tires were set a lot lower..

The instructors will let us know what our tires should be set at..
Desiree
2003 CBR F4i Silver & Black BABY

Jello_Biafra

#7 Post by Jello_Biafra » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:30 am

Flap: It seems that you do not need to go back to where you got the tire. I had Brian at Motoshoes replace my 2CT with a regular Pilot Power. The deal is that I'm going to be charged MSRP on the tire and then $50 shop time for mounting. I'll fill out some paper work from Michelin and so will he. Once Michelin receives that then they'll reimburse me rather than having Brian take the hit. Very odd, at least compared to typical automotive warranties/recalls. I'm guessing it's going to be a 4-6 week kinda deal on the turnaround time too.

At least I got a free tire though, right?

Flap
Curvalicious

#8 Post by Flap » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:15 am

In Europe the dealer takes care of the reimbursement issue, why should the customer have to do that? ;)
Change at no charge and dealer gets money back from Michelin, the way it should be. I'd love to know how long you will have to wait, till you get your money back.
The dealer takes no "hit", this is the same mechanism as if he sold some faulty material, has to take it back and gets his money from the manufacturer.

8) Jana

P.S.:You replaced the 2CT???? It is the same as PiPo, except better grip on the sides....the next step after the PiPo, but you only need it, if you don'tcarry your bike around corners as most ladies do. :mrgreen:
(House)

Jello_Biafra

#9 Post by Jello_Biafra » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:15 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it was a bit backwards. The consumer made no mistake in this case except that we trusted Michelin to deliver a safe, quality product. Why should we loan the dealer or the manufacturer any money at all? The dealer, who is the individual representative of that brand, should do that long before the end user.

I would have replaced it with another 2CT but after this recall business you just can't find a front 2CT anywhere. Right now the regular PP is sticking better than the 2CT that came off, I think simply because the old tire had been heat cycled beyond it's life. The front end on my bike is pretty nervous by nature but I'm very confident in the ability of these things to grip all the way to the sidewall. I may just buy PP's on the front from now on instead of paying extra for the 2CT. We'll have to see how round the middle stays from all this freeway riding to get to the twisties.

Cheers :)

- Kyle

KJNRIDR

#10 Post by KJNRIDR » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:18 pm

9RIDER

MICHELIN COMMUNICATION LETTER

#11 Post by 9RIDER » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:19 pm

TAKE IT EASY FOLKS, THE RECAL WAS A PRECAUTION, THERE'S A POSSIBITY THAT TIRE's CONTACT SURFACE "COULD" DETACH. I HAVE HAD MICHELIN FOR WHILE AND LAST WEEK I GOT NEW 2CT's, I'M GOING FOR MY 7th SET, SO MICHELIN SENT A LETTER SAYING:

"Because rider safety is the primary concern, Michelin has decided as a precaution to replace the 120/70 ZR 17 (58W) Michelin Pilot Power 2CT and Michelin Pilot Power FRONT tires, which can be identified by the following markings on the sidewall:

* a "Made in France" label
* DOT 6UCW 980T or DOT 6UCW 979T

Any consumer in the United States or Canada who believes they are affected by the recall should not wait to receive notification but should call Michelin Consumer Relations at 1 866 324 2835.

The company will be replacing all potentially affected tires in a comprehensive commitment to retrieve from the market any tire that does not meet Michelin quality standards. Replacement tires are available at no cost (including mounting and balancing) to consumers through participating Michelin® motorcycle tire servicing retailers

WHEN YOU BUY NEW MICHELIN LOOK AT THE DATE THE TIRE WAS MADE, IT WILL HELP YOU TO KNOW WHAT ARE YOU GETTING.

GOOD LUCK AND BE SAFE.

:cycle Dammnn, where's my helmet?
YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT, BUT YOU CAN SOMETIMES... GET WHAT YOU NEED.